Are you determined to learn how to surf this summer? Is this something that you always wanted to do and you finally have the time to invest in it? Are you sure that you are going to love it but also a bit worried that you might not do it the right way? Why don’t you check out the list of tips and tricks below? We will teach you everything you need to know, so check it out.
- Don’t learn by yourself. It would be a big mistake. Get the help of an experienced friend or hire a teacher; this will help you learn everything you need to know in order to avoid injuries and accidents and in order to correctly learn the basic skills.
- Pick the right teacher. If you decide to hire a teacher and get the feeling that you are not getting along with the one you chose, then don’t be reticent about the idea of switching to somebody else. A good teacher should also inspire you and help you really fall in love with surfing besides just helping you develop skills.
- Stick to a big surf board, with a big volume; Opt for something which is wide and quite lengthy. Do this at least until you improve your skills and get a bit better at surfing.
- There are the so called beginners’ waves; These are the ones that you should attack first, at least until you gain some more skills. You may feel ready but trust us, you are not ready! This is the reason why you should take baby steps.
- Pace yourself- This is a very important thing to do. If you don’t pace yourself once in the water, then the risk of injuries is a very high one. As a result of this, please go into the water only if you are relaxed and in a good overall state. If you are tired and feel like your physical capabilities are not at their best then it would be better to leave this for another day.
- Wipeouts- If there is a certainty about the first surf lessons then that is being wiped out; this is going to happen a lot!!! This is why it is best for you to get used to the idea before you get in the water.
- Consider joining a surf camp- A lot of people learnt how to surf by joining surf camps. For example, check out this awesome surf camp in Portugal; its name is Surfivor and it is a place where professionals organize lessons with experienced teachers, a place where you can meet with other beginners, just like you, as well as with surfers who have years of experience and who are always happy to share tips and tricks. It is also in the camp that you get to enjoy all sorts of activities, not just surf and the whole couple of weeks can be a special experience.
Follow the tricks above and we can assure you that you will safely learn how to surf!